Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Summer Recipe

I thought I would post my very very favorite thing to make in the summer time.

Tomato Gravy.

I know it sounds gross, but it is SOOOO GOOD. I love it on rice for dinner or on grits for breakfast. It really is yummy, but only tastes right with fresh ripe tomatoes so I only make it in the summer months. The first time I had it we were visiting Florida in the summer that I was pregnant with Abby. I had three helping and then later, when everyone was outside, I went to the bathroom and decided to stay in the house a little longer and I had a 4th.

It is that good.

Really , there is no recipe to it. I just learned how to make it from my mother in law. Those are actually the best kind of dishes...those without recipes! :)
I will try to just step by step talk you through it.

Dice an onion and a pound of bacon into bitesize pieces and fry in large pan.

Soak 6-8 tomatoes in hot water for about 5 min and then peel skin off. Chop tomatoes and place in a bowl. Salt and pepper and then smash them up. I use my hands..Paula Deen style.

Once your bacon is cooked, add about 1/4 a cup of flour to it and stir. Then add the tomatoes/juice. Stir until thickened. If it is too thick, just add a little water.

Serve over grits or rice. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment