Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Bible... In 90 days!

I have just finished reading the Bible in 90 days. I had a friend who encouraged me to begin this back in January. She spoke of how life changing it was to saturate yourself in the Word like this. I decided that I would " try" to do it. Honestly, I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it..not even Greg for about the first 10 days because I was afraid I couldn't keep up. I am happy to tell you that I began February 2 and ended on May 2! I have read the entire Bible in 90 days.

Let me tell you, it has been so good. So very very good. No, not just good it has been marvelous.  I would encourage everyone to try it. I promise you won't regret it. Reading it in this narrative way made me connect so many characters to each other and how they fit into the entire story of the Bible. Verses popped out at me that I don't believe I have ever read before. God's Word became sweeter and more alive in the past 90 days than it ever had been before. Here are a few things I discovered about reading it this way.

* Read whatever version you feel more comfortable with. That way the translation itself  isn't a distraction to you. I prefer the ESV. 


* It took me around 25-35 min a day. But it is OK to break it up during your day. Don't stress about not getting it all in first thing in the morning.  Like Day 1 is Genesis chapter 1-chapter 16. That is a lot of reading! But if you do a little in the morning, maybe a little at lunch and then finish it up a bedtime. Saturation in the Word.. all through your day is a very good thing.


*  Don't get behind! If one day is 16 chapters and you get behind, ummm your pretty much in trouble unless you can carve out a lot of time to catch up. I never would let myself get behind. We went to Florida for 10 days of my 90 days and I woke up early or stayed up late to keep on track.


* I used a notebook to jot down interesting facts and people that I would read about each day. A few days later you might come across the same person and a light bulb go off about that character. I found it helpful to have that notebook for thoughts and verses that jumped out at me. I didn't write in it every day, but it was just good to be able to if I wanted it.


* Oddly enough, the hardest part for me to read that much of each day was the Gospels. The Old Testament was fascinating ...like a novel, but trying to read that much of Jesus' teachings every day felt a bit like drinking from a fire hydrant. I would suggest planning extra time to read on the Gospel days just so you can soak it all in. 


I finished one week ago today and I already miss my readings. I am going to commit to the challenge again through the summer, starting tomorrow.... Anyone want to join me? 
I promise it would be a great way to spend your summer. Everyday soaking in God's Word.

Here is the Bookmark you can print out.  



Please leave me a comment if you would like to join me. I think it would be so fun and encouraging to read it together. 

4 comments:

  1. I would like to try it. I have been looking for something to guide me through what to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it. Just finished day 1 and only decided to do this two hours ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started today. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete